TMJ Therapy An Overview
TMJ is a chronic pain condition affecting the alignment and compromising the function of the temporomandibular joint. Chronic headaches, persistent teeth grinding and facial muscular pain are side effects of TMD. TMJ is commonly misdiagnosed and when left untreated can cause damage to the teeth, gums, and jaw. The pain associated with TMJ may also begin to detract from the quality of life.
An LVI Global-Alumni, Dr. Ahrabi has taken hours of advanced training in the diagnosis and treatment of TMJ disorders. The Los Vegas Institue of advanced dental education is a leader in the diagnosis and treatment of TMD related dental health concerns. Dr. Ahrabi is highly trained and experienced in helping patients gain control over their chronic jaw pain.
Signs & Symptoms of TMJ
- Difficulty or pain when chewing or swallowing
- Earaches or ringing ears
- Face, neck, shoulder and back pain
- Jaw clicking, popping or locking
- Jaw pain and tension
- Numbness or tingling in the hands or fingers
The temporomandibular joint connects the jaw to the skull. The health of this joint is essential for the proper and comfortable function of the bite. When the joint becomes compromised from misalignment, grinding, or trauma, it can become difficult to chew, speak, or focus. Densely packed with connective tissues and nerves, damage to this area can cause chronic pain conditions such as headaches and jaw pain.
Very happy with this dental office. Dr. Ahrabi and staff are great. I have been to many dentists and he is the only one I trust fully. Easy to get appointments. Never had billing issues. A+ all around.BeB.
I go to Dr. Ahrabi because he offers a lot of things I don't get at other dentists. Dr. Ahrabi seems to space his appointments a full hour apart, so I get around 45 minutes with him. He uses this…Valentina D.
This dentist is the best dentist my family has ever had. He treats his patients with care and really does care about your health and your teeth for the future and for now. My mom doesn't let any doctor touch…Roxanna H.
TMJ Therapy What to Expect
TMJ is a complex disorder that commonly requires a combination of restorative dental treatments to fully rehabilitate the function of the jaw and restore comfort. Dr. Ahrabi treats each patient on an individual basis. Together, you will build a treatment plan that will address the cause of the jaw malfunction to relieve the symptoms of TMD. Treatment will vary and depend on the patient’s personal oral health, alignment issues, lifestyle, and budget.
Treatment Options for TMJ
- Oral Sleep Appliance: An oral sleep appliance can be custom designed and fit to help realign the jaw during sleep. The custom sleep device will prevent the jaw from grinding during the night and will protect the teeth and gums from future damage. An oral sleep appliance is ideal for patients experiencing jaw pain associated with bruxism.
- Invisalign®: Dr. Ahrabi is a certified Oakton, VA Invisalign provider. Invisalign is used to realign crooked teeth and correct malocclusion. Invisalign has effectively been used to alleviate symptoms of TMJ caused by bite misalignment. Invisalign is discreet, comfortable and effective.
- Change in lifestyle habits: Exercise, yoga, and other therapeutic activities can help patients release stress and tension to prevent jaw clenching or grinding. Dr.Ahrabi may make other recommendations of changes that may help alleviate TMJ pain.